Tuesday, October 25, 2005

A Gentooist Am I.

After years of benefitting from the toils of the Gentoo Development Team, I am now officially on the road to becoming one of them. Today I was accepted as a Gentoo Arch Tester with the amd64 herd. Basically the arch testers work with the developers to track down bugs and stabilize as many packages as possible. Should one wish to become a full-fledged developer after being an arch tester for at least a month or two, it is a relatively short mentoring process to get there.

This is exciting for me as I've been loving the Linux/open source community since I became involved about 3+ years ago and I've been looking for a good opportunity to give something back.

I didn't really need anything else to do outside of my school hours right now as my other jobs seem to keep me plenty busy, but this is something that I consider important and will prioritize time for. I do plan on becoming a full developer at some point, hopefully early in 2006.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay Gentoo!!!

I wish I had a faster computer hanging around, I'd Gentoo it ;)
-Evil

hdpal said...

Wonderful