Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Mouse House


Mouse House
Originally uploaded by deltacow.
On my deck, out the back of my house, I have this plastic storage shed in which there are two metal garbage bins. In one there is cracked-corn which ducks and crows love to eat, and the other one has striped sunflower seeds which virtually every other bird eats. This morning when I opened up the sunflower can, this is what I found.

None of this was here two days ago when I last fed the birds. Since then 3 mice have built a home and brought in a whole supply of peanuts (you can see them in the other picture...in Flickr). (Apparently the limitless supply of sunflower seeds was not enough they had to steal all of the remaining peanuts I had and store them inside the plastic container I use as a scoop.)

This all leads to a problem in that I really don't like to kill animals, but now they know about this place, and there will be no stopping them from rebuilding -- likely every single day. Time to think of some ingenious plan I guess...but they are cute.

3 comments:

Devin said...

Well, cervical dislocation is an approved CCAC technique for putting down rodents in the field... Just don't let the buggers bite you!

I don't think I could do that, so why not take them to Lennoxville and release them at Bishop's somewhere!?

Anonymous said...

We had a mouse where we lived a couple years ago... Over a period of 2 weeks, we disposed of 14 mice from traps... Not fun :(
- Evil

Mary Elizabeth said...

You should ask Ed, but I think he was in B&G and saw a work order to get mice out of NOPO. Gross. I am glad that I lived there in the summer.

~mb