Thursday, January 05, 2006

Ha!

All you young'uns that I spend most of my days with remember having this argument at some time in the recent past: how to pronounce gif.

See, most of us who were hardcore users before the internet came to be used by the general public, we all knew that gif was pronounced as jif -- because that's what the original developers of the standard had specified.

All of the younger people seem to believe that it should be pronounced as g-if. Bottom line, you loose! Here's evidence to that end.

Next on my list: all the people who try to convince me that warez sites should be pronounced as war-ez. Honestly, how does that make any sense, it's a site that you go to to get softwares[z], not softwar-ez.

2 comments:

Devin said...

what about the old'uns who use the word loose instead of lose? ;)

But I have to admit that I pronouce gif with a g, but warez I have to say that pronouce as though soft was removed from softwares.

Anonymous said...

I finally see your point on this one and agree that it should be pronounced 'jif'. However, I think it is kind of stupid to pick a name and pronunciation that are differ. Take my name (Thomas) for example. It starts with a 'Th', but it isn't pronounced like the 'th' in 'that' or 'there'. It is pronounced as though the 'h' never existed. I wish I could silence all silent letters for good by removing them from words and names.

I'm with Devin, warez should be pronounced like wares in softwares. All this disucssion about warez might drive traffic to your blog. Boy will they be disappointed when you have no serialz for them.