Thursday, November 09, 2006

It's Not What You Know...

It turns out that getting a family doctor in this province is like convincing a church elder to explore his homosexual tendencies with the youngest, most impressionable boys in his flock. Err, wait, I should come up with something that doesn't happen all the time. (Seriously, someone must have done some research on this...but statistically speaking there's definitely a high percentage of fondlers dressed in clergy garb these days....but I digress.)

Most of the doctors seem to have waiting lists that go on for years and years (I've been told by one doctor that it would be at least 5 years) which leaves people to try to obtain consistent care from walk-in clinics...hoping only to map out the same doctor's schedule so that he or she will hopefully remember you from time to time. Anyway, I was talking to someone in ITS about this the other day and he suggested that I check with JD, "he's got a great doctor who you'd really like", or something along those lines. Sure enough he does, but he's not taking new patients (surprise, surprise...). However, one call from JD and I've got myself a doctor! Not only that, he's a linux guy! Loves to talk about linux and he's a total tech-geek. It just goes to show it's all about who you know!

No comments: