Monday, November 20, 2006

The Pilsen Does Good (Sort Of).

Does anybody remember what I've been saying about the Pilsen for the last 5 years? I tell almost everyone...including the staff there. During the winter when the restaurant crowd slows down, I have long persisted that they should have a big screen in the downstairs bar to show sporting events on...certainly the major ones and possibly even getting into weekly hockey, etc.

So I am down at the Pilsen for lunch yesterday and what do I see? Of course, they're setting up a projection system! Initially it will only be for the Grey Cup, the Superbowl and any other major events...but they're polling the patrons to see if they would enjoy a more regular broadcast schedule. I told the owner that I'd certainly be down there regularly for hockey should the decision be made to air those events (I suppose that it would be the french broadcast...and mostly Montreal games, but I'll live.)

So I was all thinking that maybe the Pilsen is finally doing some things right...that is until someone walked out with a microwave and put it on the end of the bar.

Being in management taught me well about the perceptions that people (public, clients) derive from even the smallest actions. I was always (*am* always...as anyone who goes to a Canadian Tire store with me knows) very cognizant of what customers may perceive about a scene, even down to the simple stuff: a garbage can being too full, two cashiers talking to each other, etc.

A microwave has no place being visible to a customer in a restaurant! I don't care if they're only using it to heat nachos for a football game...no customer should ever see (or hear!) it. What does it say about a restaurant that is trying to convince its clientele about the quality of their food, when they put a microwave on the bar (5 feet from the entrance!)?

Well, it says nothing good anyway. Also, I noticed and took the time to point out a spelling mistake on one of the pieces of paper on their door. Come on, this one's obvious, a spelling mistake says "we lack attention to detail"...who wants to eat at a place that prepares food that doesn't pay attention to detail? Yikes...businesses need to do better.

No comments: