Monday, November 20, 2006

Wow.

...Fox canceled a controversial show before they even got close to airing it. I amazed, though it was certainly the right choice.

The show? (and book incidentally - also canceled) "If I Did It", a story told by O.J. Simpson detailing how he would have killed Ron Goldman and Nicole Brown-Simpson if he had done it. Can you believe that? He was going to go on TV and tell the world how he killed them; for people of my generation this case has long spelled-out the weaknesses in the US legal system.

For once however, Fox decided to listen to public outcry. Maybe there's hope for them yet, now if we could just get them to take Fox News off the air...oh wait, still way too many red states to ensure a constant stream of viewers for that. Have you all ever watched that channel before? Seriously, it's Jerry Springer disguised in a thin veil of news headlines...I was once stuck with it being my only news station in a hotel I was in...they did like 3 hours straight on some girl who went missing in the Caribbean, I think they'd even interviewed the guy she'd lost her virginity to years earlier (just so he could say "she was such a nice person"), what an investigative accomplishment indeed.

UPDATE: I should be clear on why I don't think this show should air, for you're not likely to find me telling people and companies not to speak their mind. But this kind of television is the lowest kind of entertainment and I firmly believe it (and other similar programming) contributes to the denigration of our moral codes. Second, I really, vehemently disagree with the fact that OJ should be paid to confess to a double homicide.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't watch the TV show (even if it was still airing) or read his book. I think that I would feel as though my viewing or reading would be a contribution to that man. He doesn't deserve a penny at the expense of two people he killed.

Scott said...

Exactly.