Friday, July 08, 2005

Good Movie.

I watch Hotel Rwanda yesterday, in part because my aunt recommended it, then Oprah recommended it, but mostly because I was planning on renting it anyway.

It's worth seeing. Really.

In 1994 (the time during which the events in the movie were unfolding) I was 20 years old - yet somehow I have no memory of hearing about the killing.

I can honestly say that I've never been so moved to try to do something to assist the people of the countries that are still involved in this genocidal state. But what can we, here, do? I refuse to provide money to organizations that purport to help in the afflicted areas, my reasons being two-fold. First, I don't really have money to spare at this point, and second, I have very little faith that the majority of the donated monies actually makes it to the people who need it.

In the last few years, 4 million people have been killed in the Congo and Sudan as a result of the same genocide that killed the one million Rwandans in 1994. Why haven't I heard about it? Why aren't there daily news stories? Why doesn't the UN go in and stop it?

Better than that (and right up my alley in the vein of "U.S. -- World Police") why don't the Americans send a fighting force in there to stop it? Oh, wait, because the Congo doesn't export any oil. That's really sad.

No comments: