Thursday, July 21, 2005

Ugh.

It's almost 1 am. Here, at work, I sit waiting for the printer to complete its printout of a 3600 page report. Have you ever printed 3600 pages before? Even on this very expensive and quick-like-a-bunny printer of mine it has been going for over an hour and a half. Actually, I shouldn't call it my - or our - printer, you see, today is (was) changeover day. Ed has now sold the Mavis and Dundas Canadian Tire store and the 3600 page report is the inventory discrepancy that must be checked tomorrow.

In short, what that means is that our computer logs on-hand quantities for every one of the 48000 products that we carry. Today Western Inventory Service came in and counted all of the products in the store and the report lists the products that have a disagreement between what the computer thought we should have and what Western found.

3600 pages. I'm looking at the first 2300 of it now and it's well over a foot tall. :(

Oh well, I'm not one of the people that has to spend the next several days running around the store re-checking the majority of those discrepancies. You would have trouble paying me enough to do it -- it's the scut-work of inventory auditing.

Tomorrow, I'm splitting my day between Mississauga and Stoney Creek. Sometime on Friday or Saturday I will be back in Quebec.

2 comments:

JonBen said...

The thought of a 3,600 page inventory discrepancy scares the crap out of me... in fact 3600 pages of just about anything scares the crap out of me. This is being printed in duplex mode right? So it will be 1800 pieces of paper.... god damn!

The Chief Executive Officer said...

I've printed lots and lots of paper in my day. I recently had to print out a 500-page pdf document for one lawyer only to scan it into our system and throw it away. In law firms we rarely print double-sided, so there is a TON of paper wasted on a daily basis.