Monday, September 19, 2005

Random Monday Morning.

Computer science party 2.0 was a fair success on Friday night, despite the frequent mini-showers. The outdoor component only really ended because the rain really picked up at 10:30 or so. We came inside and (those of us who were not falling-over drunk) played a $5 poker tournament, which I won.

The only sad point? (Coincident with the disadvantage of buying an expensive camera) I took not a single picture of the event. The constant light sprinkling of rain made me nervous to take the camera out of the car all evening (beyond showing it to Stefan, who is debating a digital SLR purchase in the near future). I'll just have to wait to see Dimitri's pictures, he was not so paranoid about water on his Canon EOS 10D.

Also: I reinstalled Gentoo on my main AMD64 box this weekend (partly because my old Gentoo profile had expired and it was no longer a trivial symlink switch to upgrade, and partly because after over a year I had built up quite a bit of dependency crap that I hadn't bothered to clean out). As such, anyone who had an account on it no longer does. If you would like one, just send me an email and I'll get you set up.

I also unmasked and installed Gnome 2.12 which seems to work terrifically. Evince is a vast improvement over all previous attempts at a document reader. If you're a Gentoo-er (ist?) and want the package.unmask entries for it, let me know and I'll send them.

A Windows (ghast!) partition is being set up tonight, only because I love photoshop and simply cannot stand using Gimp. It may have most of the functionality, but it has none of the usability.

No comments: