Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Updates from Academia.

My new job with ITS is not nearly as bad as expected; indeed, I have a tremendous amount of free time when working in the labs. This will prove especially beneficial later in the semester when I want to get homework done. Right now, I mainly occupy my time by working on Canadian Tire stuff (I am a Canadian Tire whore don't you know...), watching DVDs (which reminds me...Colin, if you're reading this, we're gonna have to get some sort of system going where I can borrow DVDs from you...I have watched all of mine many times and I only have 30 to begin with), and writing email or blog posts. Really, in a 4 hour shift, I would say that I only spend about 30 minutes doing any actual job-related work.

This morning I have a meeting with my research supervisors Layachi and Madjid to see what direction I should be heading during the Fall semester. Lately I have compiled a large collection of volume data to be used as real testing data for my programs. My collection thus far includes CT scans of a human head and an entire body and an MRI of a human head. The data comes as image slices at varying degrees of resolution. My program then takes that data and attempts first to extract important features from it, then take those extracted features and attempt to rebuild them into independent 3D objects. Trust me, it's exciting stuff. I don't see myself continuing past this Fall on it though -- what I really want to be working on, and the direction I plan on taking in my Masters, is what Layachi is researching -- multi-camera integration and it's applications in remote-sensing.

The two classes that I have this semester...well, they'll be exceedingly easy. It turns out that I already know most of the information from both of them. Oh well, I'll be able to spend more time on the jobs and research for this semester anyway.

No comments: